Aarhus Symphony Orchestra, Denmark
Chief Conductor: Marc Soustrot
Principal guest conductor: Leif Segerstam
Acting Chief Executive and Artistic Director: Leif V. S. Balthzersen
The audition takes place: November 13th and 14th, 2019
Required material for audition:
Pre-round on video
Upon registration, a video recording of Søren Monrad ”Test for Timpanists” must be submitted.
- MP4-format – uploaded to YouTube, Vimeo or similar online video service. The applicant will forward the video-link as part of the application.
- One take, no editing accepted.
- Free choice of mallets.
- Camera distance: 3-5 meters from the timpani.
- Crop: All timpani and skins must be in full view. Use the image below as a guideline:
Dispensation from providing a pre-round video is ONLY possible by sending documentation of present or prior permanent employment as timpanist for a period of minimum 12 months in a symphony, philharmonic or opera orchestra.
2nd round – with piano
- Etude: Sagnier No. 3 (Download sheet music: Timpani | Piano)
- Strauss: Der Rosenkavalier (Download sheet music: Timpani | Piano)
- Strauss: Elektra (Download sheet music: Timpani | Piano)
- Mozart: Die Zauberflöte, March (Download sheet music: Timpani | Piano)
- Orchestral excerpts
- Orchestral excerpts with the orchestra
At the audition:
- 4 Ringer timpani: 32’, 29’, 26’, 25’ (calf heads)
For warming up:
- 4 Majestic timpani: 32’, 29’, 26’, 23’ (REMO Renaissance heads)
- 4 Aehnelt timpani: 32’, 29’, 26’, 23’ (calf heads)
- 4 timpani (type currently unknow)
All pedals are Berlin style.
In case of problems with the hardware, we reserve the right to change the heads or switch the timpani sets.
All music to be played in orchestral tuning A = 442 hz
German lineup acceptable for the pre-round video, but not for the actual audition.
The actual audition will be conducted using American lineup.
Sheet music for second round with piano is available to downloads on this page (see download links above).
Orchestral excerpts will be sent electronically to the applicants after the closing date for applications
The audition will take place at the Symphonic Hall at Musikhuset Aarhus (Concert Hall Aarhus), Skovgaardsgade 2C, 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark. The Aarhus Symphony Orchestra will provide a pianist on the day of the audition, but travelling expenses and expenses for accommodation must be met by the applicant.
SALARY: Salary pursuant to the current agreements between the musicians’ union and the Danish regional symphony orchestras.
NB: Candidates are asked to keep themselves informed as to the current rules and regulations concerning work permit in Denmark.
Closing date for applications: CLOSED
We will send out invitations no later than October 7th.